Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bad Run

My shot at 2/4 failed miserably. On Wednesday I dropped $2,900 at the tables after hitting upon a bad run of variance unlike any I have ever experienced before. By using Hold Em Manager I calculated my winnings to be ~$4k below the actual All-in EV. Which means that with "normal luck" I would have been up 1k instead of down 3k. In addition I had coolers like set over set and flopping top set against a straight and so on. That took my bankroll straight down to $8k again. The next day I showed the discipline to move down to 1/2 again. But I was tilting hard and dropped $1,400. Friday wasn't any better, as I dropped another $1,200. I would build up huge stacks, then bluff off my winnings in monster pots. I was tired and tilted after endless hours of 8-tabling. Basically I was doing everything wrong.

That was when I decided to go new ways and realize a project I have been planning for quite some time. The idea is that I'm going to be playing only heads up tables instead of 6-max. I actually think HU is my best game. I have just avoided it earlier because I didn't have a sufficient bankroll and I would go on tilt after losing just a buy-in or two. The weekend went great. I won $2,100 without playing much at all. Almost all of that was on 1/2 HU tables. I'm not really sure what kind of bankroll limits I should set for myself, since I haven't played HU full time before. But I would suspect that you need a bigger BR because of the variance involved. I am mostly playing only one or two tables, though. If I continue to do well I might take another shot at 2/4 in a couple of weeks, only HU this time.

No comments: